September 7, 2007

Yellow boys in Vashi

When I was walking on a street, a big yellow T-shirt group appeared. They were in the same T-shirts. I automatically imagined the charity event, “24 hours TV” in Japan. The yellows were gathering under an electric wire decorated with flowers and a ball. It was September 4, 2007.

I asked a man by me what they were going to do. The man explained they were going to make a pyramid of men to reach the ball on their heads. If they caught the ball, they would get 1 lac rupee as the prize. The distance was about 15 to 20 meters. “Is it possible for them?” He answered, “Of course.” I suspiciously stared they were making a big pyramid of men.

The pyramid was tall. About 5 boys climbed on 30 boys, 3 younger boys climbed on the 5 boys and one tiny little boy climbed on the 3 boys. Taking pictures, I asked the man, “And, what’s it for?” The man said, “For cerebrating a birthday.” “Of whom?” I patiently asked again. Actually, he was totally not a foreigner-friendly guy and he offered information a little at a time. He replied, “Of Lord Krishna.”

The yellow pyramid didn’t reach the ball and moved away. White and orange boys were also trying to get balls placed all over the city. All of them were too excited and wove their hands and shouted something to me just to express their joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment